Cystic Fibrosis Center
UCSF's Pediatric Cystic Fibrosis Center specializes in the care of children born with this genetic lung disorder. We offer screening and diagnosis for children of any age and comprehensive care aimed at slowing the disease's progression and promoting our patients' normal growth and development. We're certified for cystic fibrosis care both nationally, through the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, and at the state level through California Children's Services (CSS).
In people with CF, a defective gene causes a thick buildup of mucus in the lungs, pancreas and other organs. In the lungs, the mucus clogs the airways and traps bacteria, leading to infections, extensive lung damage and, eventually, respiratory failure. In the pancreas, the mucus prevents the release of digestive enzymes that allow the body to break down food and absorb vital nutrients. As a result, CF patients often face multiple medical problems. Our comprehensive approach to care integrates the services of many pediatric specialists, including doctors, nurse practitioners, dietitians, social workers, respiratory therapists and physical therapists. We work closely with families to help them integrate even the most complex care regimens into their daily lives.
UCSF also is a major center for cystic fibrosis research, receiving more than $2 million a year from the National Institutes of Health to fund several important projects, among them a search for new treatments to correct the fundamental defect in the cystic fibrosis gene. We are one of the few cystic fibrosis research and development programs in the U.S. and have been funded by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation for more than 20 years.
We're proud to have contributed to the advances and care that have dramatically improved quality of life and outcomes for CF patients.
Why choose us?
- Nationally certified cystic fibrosis (CF) program, accredited by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CFF), and certified by California Children's Services
- We offer diagnosis and screening for newborns, infants, or later in childhood with the goal of promoting normal growth and development as well as slowing the progression of cystic fibrosis (CF) disease.
- Our comprehensive care for cystic fibrosis patients integrates the services of a dedicated team of specialists: pediatric dietitians, social workers, respiratory therapists, and physical therapists.
- We work closely with our families to help them integrate even the most complex care regiments into their daily life.
- UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital is nationally known as a multi-center research site for cystic fibrosis and advanced pulmonary research.
Our locations (2)
Ngoc P. Ly
MD, MPHPediatric pulmonologist
Gwynne D. Church
MDPediatric pulmonologist and sleep disorders specialist
MD, MPhilPediatric pulmonologist
MD, MPHPediatric pulmonologist
Meghan E. McGarry
MD, MASPediatric pulmonologist
MD, MPH, MASPediatric gastroenterologist
Diana L. Dawson
PNP, MSNPediatric nurse practitioner
PhD, MFT, MAExpressive arts and family therapist
LCSW, MSWSocial worker
Awards & recognition
One of the nation's best in pulmonology & lung surgery
Ranked among the nation's best in 10 specialties
Plan your visit
What to Bring
- Photo I.D.
- Health insurance card
- Insurance authorization, if required
- Doctor's referral, if required
- Recent test results related to your child's condition
- List of medications, including dosages, plus any your child is allergic to
- List of questions you may have
- Device or paper for taking notes
New visitor rules
Before you head to the hospital, check our special COVID-19 rules for visitors. Thanks!
Saving future lives