UCSF International Services assists individuals from other countries who are seeking care at UCSF. Our staff coordinates all aspects of your child's visit to our hospital and clinics and is committed to making your family as comfortable as possible during your stay.
Each patient receives care in an environment that respects diverse cultural traditions and backgrounds. Our goal is to provide you with a level of customer service that matches the world-class medical treatment your child will receive.
In addition to coordinating care with world-class physicians and state-of-the-art medical technology, our patient liaisons can help you with the following:
- Coordinating interpreters and translation services
- Arranging international communications with physicians and family
- Providing information about short- and long-term accommodations
- Identifying resources for spiritual or religious guidance
Please note that International Services does not provide medical advice over the phone or by email.
Online second opinion service
For information about UCSF's second opinion service, visit this page.
To get started on arranging your child's visit to UCSF, follow these steps:
Step 1: Registration
You may register online or via email, mail or fax:
- Online: To register online through our secure website, first review our financial policy. Once you have completed that review, you will be directed to the patient registration form.
- Email: If you prefer, you may download and complete the three required forms below, and then email them to us at [email protected].
- Mail or fax: You may also mail or fax the three required forms below to the address or fax number noted under "Contact Us."
UCSF Patient Forms
- Patient Registration Form
- Patient Agreement of Financial Responsibility
- Authorization for Release of Health Information
Step 2: Medical records submission
You must have all your child's medical records professionally translated into English and submit them to our office before we can schedule an appointment. We cannot accept records that have not been professionally translated. Records may include physician notes, radiology and pathology reports, lab results and radiology images.
You may send us your child's medical records via email, fax or mail. Our contact information is listed below under "Contact Us."
Step 3: Medical records review
After we receive your child's records, our medical team will review them to determine if UCSF offers treatments that may benefit your child.
Step 4: Financial clearance
Once your child is accepted for care at UCSF, we will provide you with an estimate of the cost. Before your child receives care, you must pay the amount in full or provide verification of authorization from an insurance plan accepted by UCSF Benioff Children's Hospitals. Note that medical care in the United States may cost $700 or more for the first visit to a doctor, and from $100,000 to $500,000 for care in the hospital.
Step 5: Appointment scheduling
Once we have received your payment, we will confirm your child's appointment or hospital stay. We are not able to schedule appointments without payment in advance.
We look forward to serving you.