Sports Physical Therapy Clinic
UCSF's Pediatric Sports Therapy Clinic is a one-of-a-kind resource for sports injury care and prevention, offering young athletes the most up-to-date treatments and educational programs possible. Based in Oakland, our staff includes physical therapists, certified strength and conditioning specialists, certified athletic trainers, kinesiologists (specialists in movement and addressing imbalances) and biomechanists (specialists in the body's mechanical functioning) – all of whom have extensive knowledge and experience in diagnosing, managing and preventing sports-related injuries in children and adolescents.
Understanding that the injuries common in active youths are different from the injuries of physically mature athletes, our experts collaborate to develop appropriate, individualized treatment plans for each patient.
Safe sports recovery and injury prevention
- We're the first sports medicine program in Northern California to work exclusively with young athletes. Our objective is to, first and foremost, facilitate a child's quick and safe return to the enjoyment of sports through ongoing education and training.
- In addition to rapid and efficient evaluation and treatment of sports-related injuries, we're the Bay Area's leading provider of sports performance classes and injury prevention programs.
Comprehensive and convenient rehabilitation services
- At the heart of our rehabilitation services is a diverse team of pediatric specialists, sports-certified physical therapists, and physicians who are experienced at addressing not only a wide range of sports injury and rehabilitation issues but also the health and well-being of the whole child.
- Comprehensive rehabilitation programs are offered through the Sports Medicine Center for Young Athletes until optimal performance is achieved.
- The Sports Medicine Center offers services in Contra Costa County at Shadelands in Walnut Creek. At the center in Walnut Creek and at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland, we provide physical therapy and expert care for athletic and sports injuries.
- We offer a seamless continuum of expert care guided by sports-certified experts who specialize in pediatric care in a more formal hospital setting.
We rely on a number of motivated volunteers to help with light cleaning and clerical duties. For information on becoming a volunteer, please visit UCSF's Volunteer Services website.
Our locations (3)
Awards & recognition
Ranked among the nation's best in 10 specialties
One of the nation's best in orthopedics
Plan your visit
What to Bring
- Photo I.D.
- Health insurance card
- Insurance authorization, if required
- Doctor's referral, if required
- Recent test results related to your child's condition
- List of medications, including dosages, plus any your child is allergic to
- List of questions you may have
- Device or paper for taking notes
Related clinics (3)
Pediatric Orthopedic Clinic
Learning never stops