Hand & Reconstructive Surgery Center
Our Pediatric Hand and Reconstructive Surgery Center offers specialized care for children with a wide range of musculoskeletal conditions of the hand, wrist and other upper extremities. These include congenital disorders, issues related to cerebral palsy, as well as problems that are the result of a sports injury or other type of traumatic event. Our integrative approach involves experts in pediatric orthopedics, hand surgery, plastic surgery and microsurgery and allows our surgeons to provide a level of care unmatched in most other hospital settings.
Our goal at UCSF Benioff Children's is to restore range of motion, decrease pain and increase strength – basically to restore full or as close to full function as possible.
Why families choose us
Pediatric-focused care with long-term goals
- Specialists at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland diagnose and treat a variety of congenital and acquired reconstructive problems involving the hand.
- Regardless of age, our specialists address each child's future growth as part of the treatment plan, helping your child achieve the best possible functionality and enjoy the least possible disruption of normal activities.
Northern California microsurgery services and support
- The Hand and Microsurgery Department, part of the Children's Hospital Oakland Pediatric Orthopedic Department, is the busiest of its kind in the Bay Area, with over 13,000 patient visits a year.
- Physical therapy professionals direct our follow-up care and services. Nonsurgical rehabilitation treatment, including custom splinting, patient and family education and functional exercise programs, may be provided by Children's Hospital Oakland staff or through referral to a provider in your area to ensure continued quality of care after you leave our hospital.
Access to orthopedic, plastic surgery and reconstruction professionals
- Hand and microsurgery services are provided jointly by orthopedic and plastic surgery specialists, ensuring access to the top surgeons and surgical staff available for your child's unique condition.
- Microsurgery techniques aren't restricted to hand surgeries; we also provide treatment for complex reconstruction of the face as well as facial reanimation and restoration of the smile.
Our locations (2)
Awards & recognition
Ranked among the nation's best in 10 specialties
Plan your visit
What to Bring
- Photo I.D.
- Health insurance card
- Insurance authorization, if required
- Doctor's referral, if required
- Recent test results related to your child's condition
- List of medications, including dosages, plus any your child is allergic to
- List of questions you may have
- Device or paper for taking notes
New visitor rules
Before you head to the hospital, check our special COVID-19 rules for visitors. Thanks!
Feeling at home