UCSF Benioff Children's Hospitals' Pediatric Surgery department provides a full range of surgical services for children of all ages, from newborns to young adults. We're internationally known for our skill and expertise in the most complex and difficult types of operations performed on children, such as the removal of brain tumors or the repair of heart birth defects. Our surgeons are also leaders in the field of minimally invasive surgical procedures, having developed many of the technologies and techniques currently used to reduce pain, recovery time and scarring from an operation.
Whether it's an inpatient or an outpatient procedure, everyone on your child's surgical team will be specialists trained and experienced in working with children. That pediatric focus, experience and expertise means we always provide the highest level of care – and comfort – for every condition.
Why families choose us
Innovative inpatient and outpatient surgery options
- Our programs are designed to minimize the stress and discomfort of surgery while providing the highest level of pediatric surgical expertise available.
- We're constantly working toward improving strategies for diagnosis, treatment, and minimally-invasive surgical techniques.
A supportive team approach
- The surgical team at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospitals works with pediatricians, family physicians, child life specialists, and nurses to take a team approach to your child's good health and recovery.
- Intensive care specialists and anesthesiologists support the program to provide the best care possible for our surgical patients. Everyone is trained to work specifically for and with kids – making sure their comfort is the most important thing.
Your child’s comfort is a priority
- Pediatric anesthesiologists and child life specialists are always onsite to help allay your fears and ensure your child receives the highest level of care possible.
- Whether it's diagnostic procedures or surgery, our team's goal is to provide healthcare for your child and family that will be another positive experience in your child's development and emotional growth. Parents are always encouraged to ask questions about their child's care.
Our services (5)
General Surgery Clinic
Kidney Transplant Program
Awards & recognition
Ranked among the nation's best in 10 specialties
Planning a visit?
Let me help. Click me to find directions, parking info, and more about our locations.
Fetal surgery firsts