Child life practicum (San Francisco)
The San Francisco child life practicum program is open to students who are interested in the child life field. This 10-week 120-hour program gives students the opportunity to observe a child life specialist's role in various clinical settings and to assist with creating and implementing developmentally appropriate activities for children.
To be considered, students must:
- Be enrolled in a child development program or concentration, or have an advisor who can provide support throughout the practicum
- Complete the online practicum application
If chosen, the participant must:
- Obtain health clearance with proof of immunizations and an up-to-date TB test
- Provide a photo ID
- Provide an affiliation agreement with the university or private liability insurance (we do accept unaffiliated students)
During the practicum, applicants must be willing to:
- Work a minimum of two days a week
- Create written goals for the practicum
- Complete readings and participate in discussions with the supervisor on topics such as an introduction to the child life field and the value of play for hospitalized children
- Meet weekly with a supervisor
- Conduct weekly journal entries and developmental assessments
- Prepare a play-based project such as developing a playroom schedule for a month
- Observe a child life specialist in a clinical setting
- Help plan and implement age-appropriate playroom activities
Practicum application process
To apply, please complete our online application.
We also require a letter of recommendation from someone affiliated with either an academic or a clinical institution. Letters of recommendation may be submitted using our online form or the QR code below:
Once the application due date has passed, we'll contact you after reviewing your application. Candidates who meet the criteria will interview with the student program coordinator. A decision will be made following the interview.