Child life practicum (San Francisco)
The San Francisco child life practicum program is open to students who are interested in the child life field. This 10-week 120-hour program gives students the opportunity to observe a child life specialist's role in various clinical settings and to assist with creating and implementing developmentally appropriate activities for children.
To be considered, students must:
- Be enrolled in a child development program or concentration, or have an advisor who can provide support throughout the practicum
- Complete the online practicum application
If chosen, the participant must:
- Obtain health clearance with proof of immunizations and an up-to-date TB test
- Provide a photo ID
- Provide an affiliation agreement with the university or private liability insurance (we do accept unaffiliated students)
During the practicum, applicants must be willing to:
- Work a minimum of two days a week
- Create written goals for the practicum
- Complete readings and participate in discussions with the supervisor on topics such as an introduction to the child life field and the value of play for hospitalized children
- Meet weekly with a supervisor
- Conduct weekly journal entries and developmental assessments
- Prepare a play-based project such as developing a playroom schedule for a month
- Observe a child life specialist in a clinical setting
- Help plan and implement age-appropriate playroom activities
Practicum application process
To apply, please complete our online application.
We also require a letter of recommendation from someone affiliated with either an academic or a clinical institution. Letters of recommendation may be submitted using our online form.
Once the application due date has passed, we'll contact you after reviewing your application. Candidates who meet the criteria will interview with the student program coordinator. A decision will be made following the interview.