Wellness Center for Youth with Chronic Conditions
Living with a chronic medical condition can be hard. The Wellness Center for Youth With Chronic Conditions is an innovative new program designed to address certain nonmedical needs of kids with chronic illnesses and similar needs in their families. We have a team of wellness experts who work with our patients to develop a personal vision for their health and create a step-by-step plan for realizing that vision. Our team supports patients on their path – adapting their goals over time; connecting them with center offerings, such as cooking classes and peer support groups; and facilitating the transition to adult care. These services are intended to complement the medical treatments our patients are already receiving.
Anyone under 25 who has a chronic medical condition is eligible to receive our services, as are their family members. We define chronic broadly to cover any issue expected to last a year or longer. We see patients with epilepsy, inflammatory bowel disease, inflammatory conditions, cancer and many other disorders. We also help those with genetic, neurodevelopmental and mental health conditions.
We're open to both UCSF and non-UCSF patients, but a doctor's referral is required in either case. Our care team includes doctors, nurses and a social worker – all specializing in wellness – as well as a physical therapist, dietitian and child life specialist. We work together to support patients and family members and to design plans specific to individual needs. We provide a range of services, including:
- Education on health and life skills, through community parenting discussions, kids' cooking classes, healing arts workshops and financial workshops
- Emotional and social support, such as group counseling, buddy programs and peer mentoring
- Fitness consultations
- Integrative health and nutrition consultations and nutrition classes
- Gynecologic and contraception consultations
Learn about new and upcoming programs on the Wellness Center for Youth With Chronic Conditions' website.
Our locations (1)
Awards & recognition
Ranked among the nation's best in 10 specialties
Plan your visit
What to Bring
- Photo I.D.
- Health insurance card
- Insurance authorization, if required
- Doctor's referral, if required
- Recent test results related to your child's condition
- List of medications, including dosages, plus any your child is allergic to
- Completed care and vision maps (provided by Wellness Center upon scheduling first appointment)
- List of questions you may have
- Device or paper for taking notes
Related clinics (5)
Stad Center for Pediatric Pain, Palliative & Integrative Medicine
Sports Medicine Center for Young Athletes