Working together in Oakland
UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland partners with local organizations to create public benefit investments, provide free health screenings, and promote activities to encourage health and wellness.
BCH Oakland community benefits
In 2020, BCH Oakland invested over $81 million in community health through free and low-cost care, food distribution, safety programs, mental health services and educational outreach. Working with our local communities, these partnerships were able to:
- Provide over 7,000 free COVID tests to pediatric patients and their caregivers at our drive-through site
- Distribute 70,000 reusable cloth masks and public health information to vulnerable communities
- Equip 10,000 local teachers, students and families with information to ensure school safety
- Expand access to mental health care for 250,000 pediatric patients through telehealth psychiatry consultation for primary care providers
- Offer 5,000 medical visits through community-based teen and young adult clinics:
- The largest is the Teen Clinic at 5400 Telegraph Avenue, which provides integrated primary and behavioral health care for over 1,000 patients ages 11 to 24.
- The Chappell-Hayes Health Center in West Oakland (located at McClymonds High School) and the Youth Uprising/Castlemont Health Center in East Oakland (next to Castlemont High School) operate through the Oakland Unified School District and the Center for Healthy Schools and Communities at the Alameda County Health Care Services Agency. Both are full-service, school-based, primary care centers that integrate behavioral health services to promote adolescent development and wellness.
- The Alameda County Juvenile Justice Center (JJC) Medical Clinic provides full medical and dental health services. In 2020, the clinic provided care for over 600 young people in detention. The clinic is a collaboration with Alameda County Health Care Services Agency, Behavioral Health Care Services, the Alameda County Probation Department, and the Alameda County Public Health Department.
Learn more about UCSF BCH Oakland's Community Programs.