UCSF Medical Group represents the physicians who care for patients at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital and who are full-time faculty at the University of California, San Francisco. The medical group provides a structure to enhance and facilitate clinical care, teaching, research and community service for the faculty of the UCSF School of Medicine.
UCSF Medical Group has an elected board of directors that defines standards of care and sets strategy for the clinical practices, defines new program opportunities and has authority over medical group management. The board also acts on recommendations of its committees to address issues such as contracting, billing, credentialing, quality of care, incentives and oversight of outpatient programs.
The group's purpose includes the following:
- Facilitate the delivery of health care services in a quality, cost-effective, coordinated and patient-friendly manner.
- Provide a unified structure for clinical departments to participate in contracts with third party payers for clinical services and to facilitate contracting jointly with UCSF Medical Center.
- Enhance the clinical practices through coordinated planning, marketing and delivery of clinical services.
- Facilitate UCSF's ability to maintain its academic and clinical programs in support of the faculty and medical school.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory agency requirements and quality standards.
- Optimize primary and specialty care.
- Develop alliances with other health care providers to support the mission of the medical group and medical school.
- Evaluate, negotiate and monitor all contracts for clinical services, including managed care contracts, fee for service contracts and specialty packages on behalf of medical group members.
- Market the medical group and medical center clinical services to patients, referring physicians, third-party payers and others, as appropriate.
- Facilitate communication between medical group members, departments and medical group leadership.
- Dr. Sam Hawgood, president
- Michael Hindery, vice dean for administration, finance and clinical programs
- David Rein, director of finance and practice management
- Margaret Martin, director of contracting
- Michael Delane, manager of credentialing
UCSF Medical Group cannot answer questions regarding patient care, medical plan coverage or referrals. For this information, please call the Pediatric Access Center at (877) 822-4453 (877-UC-CHILD). If you are a referring physician and need additional help, contact our Physician Liaison Service.